Tavern on Camac

From Gay History
Jump to: navigation, search

Name of Bar/Club: Tavern on Camac

Location: 243 So. Camac Street, Philadelphia PA 19107

Period in existence:

In the 1920s, 243 S Camac was Maxine's, a gay friendly speakeasy, managed by Ed King. Sailors and soldiers stationed in Philadelphia were known to frequent it.

From 1934 to 1981 it operated as Maxine's Bar, now owned by Ed King

From 1982 to 1998 it was called Raffles

In 1998 it was bought by Joey Guidotti and named Tavern on Camac

In 2004 it was bought by Stephen Carlino and Dennis Fee, who currently own it.

243 S Camac may be the oldest continually operating gay bar in Philadelphia.

Camac S 1950.jpg

Camac St. in 1950, showing Maxine's and The Venture Inn

Philadelphians who spent time at this bar or club: